The Ultimate Guide to Organising Your Self-Storage Unit
Having a self–storage unit can be a great way to free up some extra space in your home. But to make the most out of your storage unit, you will need to organise it effectively. This can be a daunting task, so we wrote this blog to provide practical tips and advice on how to make the most of a self-storage unit, including packing and organising techniques, maximising space, and creating an inventory system.
Organising Your Self-Storage Unit
When it comes to organising a self–storage unit, the most important thing to keep in mind is the type of storage you have. There are several types of self–storage units available, ranging from drive–up units to temperature–controlled units. Knowing the features of each type of unit will help you make an informed decision on which type of storage unit will best meet your needs. So here’s what to do:
- The first step in organizing your self-storage unit is to make sure you have the necessary supplies. Boxes, tape, plastic wrap, and other packing materials should be on hand to safely store your belongings. Furniture covers and insulation can also be used to protect items from weather damage. You can find boxes and packing materials to buy online at our Elephant Box Shop here. Once you have the supplies, it’s time to start organising your self–storage unit.
- Start by grouping items into categories. For instance – group all kitchen items together in one area, and all living room items in another. This will make it easier to locate the items you need when you need them.
- When placing items in the unit, keep heavier items on the bottom. Place smaller items together in boxes. To make the most of your space, consider investing in stackable plastic storage containers or shelves. You can also use the wall space for extra storage: Crossbars, rails, and hooks can be easily added to transform an empty wall into valuable storage space.
- Properly labeling boxes and containers will help keep track of your items and make them easier to find when you need them. A labeling system lets you quickly identify the contents of a box and lets you know which items belong to which box.
- Create a detailed inventory list, including a map of where each box/item are located. This inventory list should include items, categories, and their exact locations in your self–storage unit. This will make it much easier to find what you need when you need it.
With a bit of preparation, you can make sure all of your items are organised and secure in your self–storage unit. Follow the steps in this ultimate guide to organising your self–storage unit and you will likely find that managing your items in a storage unit is much easier than expected.
If you would like to know more about storage sizes and prices, you can check all our storage units available online, as well as their costs. CLICK HERE TO BROWSE.