Moving Tips: Tips For When Between Homes
Start planning for your move before you even know when you‘re leaving. Planning is the most important aspect when moving, or, when in between homes.
Ask yourself questions such as what needs to be moved and what you can leave behind, where to find packing materials, and how much you can afford for moving services. Even if you don’t know the exact date, advance planning will help you save money and time later on.
Tips For When Between Homes
- Before you start packing, make sure you have boxes, rolls of tape, and any other necessary items. This will save you time and effort when it‘s time to pack. You can find packing materials at our Elephant Box Shop, available online and in-store.
- Pack lightly and try to sell or donate items you don’t need or use anymore. To make the most of the space in your destination home, declutter and downsize your belongings. Only bring what you need and what you’re sure you’ll use to prevent extra clutter in your new place.
- Use self-storage to store furniture, packed boxes, and items that you will not need immediately, or, at a later stage. This way not only you free up the space you are leaving, but you will be giving yourself time to clean, organise and plan your new home layout before bringing in all your belongings. Click here to browse our storage units sizes, prices and availability.
- Have an inventory of all your belongings, both at the departure and arrival end. This will make it easier to find the items you are looking for and ensure they all find their way to your new home. If you are using self-storage, make sure to have a separate inventory for your self-storage contents.
- When you do pack, make sure you label all your boxes carefully. This will not only save you time when it comes to unpacking but also aid you when you are trying to find something that may have been packed away. You should also keep important items such as documents, money, and jewelry close to you.
- Hire a mover or find other affordable options, such as renting a moving truck or hiring friends and family to help. Weigh the cost and effort of each option, so you can find the best solution for your budget.
- Work your way through the house while packing, systematically packing from one room to another. The same applies to unpacking.
- Finally, don’t forget to make sure you’re insured. Speak to your insurance provider, and make sure your possessions are covered in transit. This way, if the worst happens, you’ll be able to make a claim and get the help you need to replace lost items. Having a reliable form of insurance will give you extra peace of mind while you’re in between moving home.